What Is The Internet of Things? The Future Is Here And It’s Not What You Might Have Imagine!
What is the The Internet of Things (IoT)? If you haven’t heard of the term “Internet of Things” it is time you do! To even grasp the idea of what the internet of things is you’ll have to mediate on the concept, even though many have already heard the term “internet of things” before, for others it’s a completely new concept to picture.
The Internet of Things (IoT) should not be confused with the internet. Although it’s part of the internet, the whole point of the internet was about connecting you and me to the web, in the case of the “internet of things”, the concept is to have “things” such as our gadgets and other devices connected to the web’s infrastructure.
This will give people more control over the current “things” being developed and also for the development of other useful things in the future.
If you want to know what is the internet of things definition, well, it is a proposed development of the Internet in which everyday objects have network connectivity, allowing them to send and receive data through a network of physical objects or “things” embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and connectivity to enable objects to collect and exchange data.
Visit the WIKI Page to learn more on what is the The Internet of Things (IoT).
However, If you still don’t understand what is the internet of things, don’t worry, you will by the end of this article! The internet of things will be the next mega trend, it’s the 3rd wave of the internet revolution and probably is the BIGGEST one yet…
As of 2015, some of the biggest and most innovative companies are backing the internet of things idea. Companies such as GOOGLE, INTEL, MICROSOFT, IBM, CISCO, APPLE, and a ton more! The reality is, a future without the “internet of things” is inevitable, we have come a long way as a specie together and our advancement in technology has brought us to this point in revolutionizing the way we live.
“The Internet of Things, I think will be the biggest leverage point for IT in the next 10 years, $14 trillion in profits from that one concept alone.” Cisco CEO John Chambers at AllThingsD’s D11 Conference
Basically, everything useful in our lives will soon be connected to the internet making these devices uniquely interconnected with the existing internet infrastructure all thanks to the internet of things.
If you can’t see it yet, the internet of things will be life changing, making EVERYONE lives way more comfortable eliminating the majority of the frustrating things we would normally deal with in our daily lives. So to answer the question, what is the internet of things?
It may sound like science fiction, but in reality, it’s what our current achievement in technology today has shown us what we can achieve collectively for our future civilization.
What is the the internet of things then? It will be as close to connecting our consciousnesses making us ONE with everything!
So What Is The Internet of Things Really About?
If you remember the classic television show “The Jetsons” a lot of us thought by the year 2000 the world would become like “The Jetson” we grew up watching on television. We might have guessed too early back then, but in 2015, we can say it has become a reality.
No matter where you are, when the internet of things become the norm, our world today will seem ancient as the internet of things is possibly the next boom that will take our generation to the next leap forward in evolution.
We’re talking about a world where there will be sensors, robots, computers, etc all connected networking together communicating with larger networks.
A futuristic world where cars drive on autopilot mode, robots do the house keeping, science find cures, and lots more, but it’s not all about us, The Internet of Things (IoT) will open new and big opportunities for businesses and industries who should benefit tremendously making operations, innovations, etc more efficient even creating new markets and a new economy.
Internet of Things examples:
- Let’s use today’s smartphone as an example, imagine your iPhone which has collected real-time data about EVERYTHING THAT YOU USE in your home and it’s updating consistently. Your smart phone has a sensor which is connected to your refrigerator, thermostat, electricity, television, etc which will also have built in sensors each with it’s own unique identification. Now picture this, no more “on and off” switch in your home to turn on the lights when it’s dark, everything will know YOU, when you walk into a dark room, the lights will turn on automatically.
- You’ll never wait for another red light, or get stuck in traffic, or construction all because cars will be able to sense and collect data wherever you are going. Wouldn’t that make you less frustrated on the road? How about traffic lights that automatically change to green without you coming to a full stop? Now isn’t that refreshing to hear? The Internet of Things (IoT) has a lot in stores and one thing is for sure, and that’s a more easy going, simpler life for all of mankind!
Because the internet of things will connect EVERYTHING, we won’t give too many examples other than the above, instead, videos will give a much better explanation so if you want a little more taste of what is the internet of things is and how it will change the world, check out the following videos:
How The Internet of Things Will Change the World
The Internet of Things: Dr. John Barrett at TEDxCIT
What Is The Internet of Things (IoT) 2016 Updates & Other Resources To Learn More…
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical objects or “things” embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and network connectivity, which enables these objects to collect and exchange data. -Wiki
Learning about the Internet of things (ioT) is a slow process, as the year 2016 approaches, and throughout the entire 2016, we will try to UPDATE THIS PAGE specifically with new information on what’s going on with the internet of things (ioT)
Besides learning the basics, try to keep up with the latest on this new world we’ll soon be expecting. If this is your first time hearing about the “Internet of Things” it’s the perfect time to learn all you know, so be sure to check back here often in 2016!
Internet of Things (ioT) Resources for 2016
- CISCO has released a PDF Document Introducing the world to understand what is the internet of things. We HIGHLY Recommend you take a look at it. An Introduction to the Internet of Things
- A 23 page PDF Document Titled ‘GOVERNMENT AND THE INTERNET OF THINGS (IOT)‘ on 11/19/2015 by atarc.org
- Read the latest publication Conference Paper ‘Interaction and Humans in Internet of Things‘ released by ResearchGate
The Internet of Things Books
The Silent Intelligence: The Internet of Things by Daniel Kellmereit & Daniel Obodovski (CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE FROM AMAZON.COM)